Always on the lookout for easy recipes, we were ecstatic to find cake mix cookies on Pinterest! Baking cookies from a cake mix is perfect for us busy girls (and guys), because it’s quick and takes few ingredients, but it still feels more “homemade” than buying place and bake cookies from Publix.
However, the one problem with cake mix cookies is that (logically) they tend to taste more like cake than cookies. Every recipe we tried just tasted like we made a bunch of tiny cakes- lovely, but not what we wanted. Until now that is! This recipe made delicious chocolate chip cookies that we were able to bake in about 20 minutes!
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (we’ve found that Pillsbury is best)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2) Pour the cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in the butter, eggs and vanilla. If the butter is quite soft you can mix it with a spoon, otherwise stir with an electric mixer until well blended.
3) Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls (about 1 inch in diameter) onto cookie sheets.
3) Bake for 11 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges are golden. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to cool on wire racks. We found that the cookies were best if you take them out of the oven just before you think you ought to- the middles will finish baking while they cool on the baking sheets.
Variations we have tried and enjoyed:
- red velvet cake mix with white chocolate chips
- chocolate cake mix with dark chocolate chips
- carrot cake mix with butterscotch chips (and some walnuts if you’re feeling sassy!)
- funfetti cake mix with white chocolate chips
- devils food cake mix with peanut butter chips
We hope you enjoy! If you come up with any more yummy combinations let us know so we can try them out!
Side note- when making these we accidentally forgot a couple in the oven and they got burned to a crisp! Moral of the story: ALWAYS set a timer!!