One of my most popular fall shenanigan recipes is my 2 ingredient pumpkin cake mix muffins. Since fall is creeping around again I decided to look for some similar easy pumpkin recipes that could take my pumpkin muffins to the next level. While researching, I came across these pumpkin cupcakes by LilLuna on Pinterest. I liked the recipe because, like my pumpkin muffins, this recipe used boxed cake mix as the base of the recipe. They looked delicious so I decided to test it out!
Here’s what you will need for your pumpkin spice cupcakes:
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- The ingredients on the box (minus the water)
- 1 can of pumpkin pure – 15oz
- 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Blend together cupcake ingredients: Cake mix, ingredients on cake mix box EXCEPT for water, can of pumpkin, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and ground cinnamon.
I used a standing mixer, but a normal hand mixer works fine too.
2. Put batter into cupcake liners, filling each a little over half full.
3) Bake at 350 degrees F for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
4) While the cupcakes are cooling, mix together your cream cheese icing ingredients.
Be careful not to over mix or your icing will become a little bit runny, if that happens put it in the fridge for a little to harden up.
5) Ice your yummy pumpkin spice cupcakes! I used this Wilton 415-0906 Dessert Decorator Plus to decorate my cupcakes, it is the easiest icing piping tool that I have ever used. Also make sure your cupcakes are totally cool when icing them or it will melt your icing.
Sidenote: with or without the icing they are delicious!